Friday, November 21, 2014

Motivations for Digital and Media Literacy



On page 169 Read "Your Motivations for Digital and Media Literacy".        


My top five.

1. To modernize the curriculum and make it more relevant to students.

2. To promote creativity and self-expression
       
3. To help students use their own voices for advocacy and social change.   

4.  To build students ability to be active, thoughtful “readers” or interpreters of the media messages in      their cultural environment.    

5.  To develop student’s skills in using digital technology tools.



My Three quotes.

   1.   In building coalitions, it is important to respect and honor our varying priorities and find partners who can both support and challenge us (Page169).

I agree with this quote because it is one that I can relate to in working with my youth coalition. Last weekend I had to present a peace on cyber bulling at Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) conference. I had teachers, parent’s adult mentors and youth in my session. It was very interesting to hear their expressions and comments. There was agreement and disagreement on the use of social media and the power to turn it off and to what extent should parents and teachers get involved.

My youth team was present to take notes and chime in whenever they had a question or answer they wanted to share. One of my students clearly stated that it was very important to respect one another when we share ideas so that everyone can walk away with something from the discussion on bullying. The Student commented that as a youth coalition it is their responsibility to lift each other up and support each other when needed, after all isn't that why we are here today she said.
And of course me being the proud Youth Advisor I walked away in Awe because it was at that point I realized they get it, they really get it.

This exactly what was in our reading.

  2. “Someone else might want to cultivate a climate of respectful and civil behavior among adolescents in their online social interactions (Page 169).



         3.  This approach carries with it the potential for all students in a school to gain exposure to digital media use, media analysis, creative collaboration, and hands on production activities (Page 171).

I am sure that we all have seen what students can do when given the ability to incorporate and use digital media in their school work, projects, or to create a product.

Much of my school work for this class has been shared with Taylor County Breaking the Cycle Youth Coalition. This group of students have taken some of my prezi’s, psa and other tools posted in my blog and expanded it into their own work to use for several conferences. So I strongly agree with this quote. I have seen what student can do with creative collaboration, I do feel that they still need to be given boundaries and specifics when creating a hands on project this just keep everyone safe and on the right track.


Hobbs, R. (2011). Research As Authentic Inquiry. Digital and media literacy: connecting culture and classroom (pp. 168, 169, & 170). Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin Press.





No comments:

Post a Comment