Thursday, September 11, 2014

"Reflecting on our Love/Hate Relationship with Media"


 Reflecting on Print Media


Big Idea

I have a love hate relationship with Print Media.
I really love to buy books. I especially like the the old looking books. I buy them with very good intentions of reading them, but I don’t always get around to it. I am always on the go, I tried keeping my books in a clear accessible place like the bathroom or by night table even in the kitchen, but to no avail I never get to really sit in the hammock and read. 


So I now I listen to them when I can on audio books with YouTube but I still but the books.

It seems like such a waste of money I know but I really like to have the book in hand or just to have when I do want to read it. 

Which takes me to Jaime’s comment about the newspaper.
She said “Newspapers are print media that consume a lot of paper every day. Newspapers to me seem outdated when there are so many ways to find up-to-date information in the News. What really turns my stomach is all the unread newspapers after all the paper that was used to create it.”
You are correct when I look at all the newspaper’s we still buy it mind boggles me why are we still killing trees we can read the paper on line. I am proud to at least say that we are now reading the Mountain Statesmen online. No more newspaper clutter that was taking up space in a kitchen chair. 



Section 2. 
Understanding Today's Learners in this chapter we learn how students and teacher are using the Internet and explaining what the differences are. Students use the Internet for social media, entertainment  or for playing online games. For teacher it’s a different experience they are checking emails, researching for information for school or career or simply looking up hobbies.
When I get on the Internet I do all of the above except play games. I like that this chapter explains the differences however I don’t agree with the idea that 80% of teens have no interaction with their parents about their use of media and technology. I disagree because it’s all up to the parent 80% seems really a high number of kids that means that only 20% are conversing with mom and dad about their media choice?

What happen to putting computer in a place where there is supervision.


 Hobbs, R. (2011). Why Digital and Media Literacy. In Digital and media literacy: Connecting culture and classroom (pp. 7-8). Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Corwin Press.

Google images.
http://www.123rf.com/photo_2312406_a-defocused-pile-of-old-folded-pink-newspapers-on-an-office-chair.html

No comments:

Post a Comment